Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My cats are missed

You really don't know how much life is around you when you are at home until it isn't there. In my case it is my cats whom bring so much life in my dwelling. I am accustomed to being at home alone all day, but I didn't realize just how much I wasn't alone until we actually made the decision to leave our cats in Cashiers for an entire week. This was not an easy decision for me at all. There are times when I get frustrated with them for all the mischief and mayhem they display, but that is my preference over the silence I have been experiencing for two whole days now. Our house feels so dead right now. My reason for leaving them in Cashiers was merely to let the hairs settle and vacuum them up before my family comes to visit on Saturday. Dad is allergic to cat hairs. Is it worth not having the cats here a whole week in order to make my dad comfortable? Absolutely! But this doesn't mean I can't miss my cats something fierce. My constant companions aren't here by my side, the cat bowl is empty, the tub is empty of the small pool of water I have accustomed myself to seeing, I don't have a cat to snuggle with in bed. When I practice piano, Copper isn't there to walk up and down the keys! Where are those swishing tails to greet me when I enter the room they abide? where are those meows to greet me when I wake up in the morning? where are the claws that so lovingly scratch me to announce cuddle time? why won't they come when I call? Though today Nathan and I celebrate our second anniversary, it really isn't the same without cats to interrupt. Until I have children of my own, they are my kids and joy when I am alone all day. I do look forward with eager anticipation to bringing them back home again!

No comments: